Beware…don’t start a fire!

BEWARE…..you can start a fire when you discard a 9-volt battery. These are the size of battery you would normally find in smoke detectors. Because the positive and negative posts are so close to each other, all it takes is a little bit of conductive metal for disaster to strike. In fact, just touching a piece of steel wool to a 9-volt battery will instantly make the steel wool erupt in flames.

In order to properly keep a 9-volt battery safe for disposal, the National Fire Prevention Association recommends covering the posts of the battery in electrical tape. NFPA also insists that you never throw away 9-volt batteries, but instead take them to a disposal site near you.

Be safe!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s